Tuesday 27 December 2016

Relax, no-one is in control!

To grow is to let go, and you can only be happy in the world, give, trust, if you are free of the world, because you cannot be capable, simple, and free from fear and desire, until God the Holy Spirit is your being, and you don’t care whether you exist or die, which is eternal life, Jesus' timeless teaching encapsulated in his advice: Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world” (Jn 16:33).  

A worldly definition of religion, such as the worship of a Higher Being, is a bit like psychology, because it assumes your 'I' is of the world, and needs to surrender, adjust, get better, get relief, find self-esteem, approval, healthy attachment or whatever, without ever realising that whatever is perceived, felt, touched, seen, heard, smelt, tasted, or thought, cannot be who you are anyway.  You are the perceiver, feeler, toucher, seer, hearer, smeller, taster or thinker, and this 'I' alone is Love, but people don't want this Love, because people think they need something else, such as to be loved, or to be recognised, or approved of.

Worldly religion teaches belief in Jesus, but wouldn't you rather have his spirit than have him as an imaginary friend?  Passion for him without compassion for everyone is not what the New Testament calles Pistis [faith], his living trust: “Why do you call me Lord, and not do what I say”? (Lk 6:46). 

So relax, no-one is in control, you nor anyone, God's eternally present I is the only Self scripture witnesses to, when it says Be Still, and know that I am God (Ps 46:10), I am the Vine and you are the branches (Jn 15:5), I am, the way, the truth, and the life (Jn 14:6), I and the Father are one (Jn 10:30), Before Abraham was, I am (Jn 8:58) I have learnt to be content under all circumstances (Phil 4:12), you may participate in the divine nature (2 Peter 1:4) , and let this mind be in you which was in Christ, who made himself nothing (Phil 2:5). 

Don’t be trapped or blocked off, 'I' does not refer to a separated body or mental image, and if you think otherwise, that is a thought, not who you really are. Possibly it is an anxious thought, caused by the tightening of that body.

 So let it go, because anything you perceive as separate is not who you are. The Christian desert Fathers and Mothers used to say that if you want rest both here and hereafter, "always ask yourself 'Who am i?' and never judge anyone."  

In the sermon on the mount (Matt 5-7) Jesus taught a state of happiness, blessedness, where you are not a body mind, but poverty, empty of ego and therefore truly allowing God to be the only I am.

“I am” is not a thought or an experience, it is the uncreated essence that manifests as matter energy and psyche, losing no potential at all in doing so. 
  
Because, I am that I am (Ex 3:14), lowly, meek, yet all powerful.

 Amen +

No comments:

Post a Comment